I love this time of year, but the food & desserts are usually too much for me. I don’t like to be a total Grinch though, so I make big batches of Spiced Nuts because they taste great, smell amazing when you cook them, and nuts are so good for you! These are great to have around as a snack or pack up for cute gifts!
5 Health Benefits of Nuts:
1. Nuts are loaded with “good” fats which help you lose fat by improving metabolism, good fats help to balance hormones, and eliminate constant cravings.
2. (Especially) Omega 3 fatty acids, which are good for a wide range of health benefits, including a lower risk of heart disease and improvement in cholesterol. There have also been promising results from studies looking at omega-3 for cancer, depression, and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This is supposedly the best kind of fat.
3. Arginine helps blood vessels relax and improves circulation. It may also help improve blood flow in the arteries in the heart.
4. Fiber provides many benefits. It helps to maintain the health of the digestive tract. It also helps us to maintain our weight by keeping our appetite in check by feeling full longer. High fiber foods also lower the risk of certain cancers, heart disease, and diabetes.
5. Vitamin E helps improve immune function, reduces cholesterol and reduces the risk of cancer.
3 pounds of Raw (organic if possible) nuts – your choice – cashews, walnuts, almonds or other…
Preheat oven to 325*
Put parchment paper on cookie/ baking sheets. (optional)
In a bowl mix 1/4 cup maple powder / sugar (or blend/combine w coconut crystals however you like to equal 1/4c)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
Dash Himalayan sea salt
(optional 1/2 tsp cloves)
Add 1 egg white (from farm fresh egg) & 1 tsp vanilla to dry mix until smooth.
Coat nuts with mixture and pour onto cookie sheet. Bake for 7 min @ 325*
After 7 min, pull nuts out to mix them up thoroughly, put back in oven for another 7 minutes.
Take out and let cool.
Put in mason jars and give as gifts or serve as treats.